Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Toyo is a common element of Japanese company and camera names.
It is likely to stand for either of two words, words that sound entirely different to fluent speakers of Japanese but that may confuse others. One is the short "Toyo"; the other the long "Tōyō". (To Japanese ears, the latter is twice the length of the former.) But whether out of convenience or a desire not to confuse those unused to macrons and the sounds of Japanese, the latter too is often simply written in roman letters as "Toyo".
Toyo (short) Edit
"Toyo" here typically is, or is derived from, 豊, now only used in names. (Cf Toyota, the car company.)
- Toyo, Toyo View, Toyo Field, "Omega View, Toyo Division", or "Mamiya America Co. / Toyo Professional Division" (brand)
- Toyoca, Toyocaflex (brands of Tougodo)
Tōyō (long) Edit
"Toyo" here typically is, or is derived from, 東洋, meaning "oriental" (literally, "eastern ocean").
- Tōyō Diecast (東洋ダイカスト), a company listed in the Japanese government inquiry of April 1943
- Tōyō Kōgaku (東洋光学), manufacturer in the 1950s, cited about the Elizaflex
- Tōyō Kōgaku Garasu Seizōsho (東洋光学硝子製造所), predecessor of Hoya
- Tōyō Kōgaku Bōeki (東洋光学貿易), maker of the Kenko filters in the 1950s
- Tōyō Kōki (東洋光機), perhaps the manufacturer of the Tone in 1949–50, and cited again about the Larkflex, Elega-35 and Elegaflex in the 1950s
- Tōyō Kōki Seizō (東洋光機製造), manufacturer of the Peacock and of a few leaf shutters in the 1930s and early 1940s
- Tōyō Seiki (東洋精機), a name cited about the Easternflex, probably a short form of Tōyō Seiki Kōgaku
- Tōyō Seiki Kenkyūjo (東洋精器研究所), manufacturer of the Mars shutter c.1940, sold by the Mars company
- Tōyō Seiki Kōgaku (東洋精機光学), manufacturer in the 1950s, which made the Princeflex, Elbowflex and Elbow Six, and perhaps other cameras
- Toyo Seiko Co., perhaps a camera maker, cited about the Rolex 35 III and Rolex TLR
- Tōyō-sha (東洋社), accessory maker in the 1930s
- Tōyō Shashinki-zai (東洋写真機材), distributor in the late 1940s and in the 1950s
- Tōyō Shōkai (東洋商会), distributor in 1940, the name is cited again about the Larkflex
- Is this your company?
- Toyo Optics Industries Inc., seems to be an US-American distributor (product sample: Five Star Zoom 35-75mm lens)