Announced in March 2007, the Olympus E-510 is the first Four-Thirds digital SLR camera to feature in-body sensor-shift image stabilisation. As part of the Four-Thirds system the E-510 can take all Four-Thirds lenses and accessories.
The E-510 was released worldwide in May 2007, and features a 10-megapixel Panasonic ‘Live MOS’ sensor, allowing full-time live view on the camera's rear LCD. As a successor model to the E-500, the E-510 ups the pixel count to 10 megapixels, includes in-body IS and Live-View functionality. Along with its sibling the E-410 the E-510 has a fixed, non-rotating LCD. However, the viewing angle of the rear LCD has apparently been greatly improved – up to 170°.
‘Live-View’ on the E-410 and E-510 differs in operation form previous implementations in that it only features one mode of operation – essentially equivalent to ‘Live-View mode B’ on the E-330, with some added image display properties. It automatically adjusts the displayed image to accurately reflect white balance and exposure compensation, as well as adding a live histogram. Auto focus is now also available in Live-View mode, although it operates more slowly than in normal operation as the mirror needs to be brought down for the sensors to focus and then is drawn back up; this means that the image is blanked out for 1 to 2 seconds while focus is made. In manual focus mode, the image on the rear LCD can be magnified by up to 10x, to allow for fine focus adjustment.
Almost functionally identical to the E-410 apart from the inclusion of in-body stabilization, the E-510 is a larger, more robust camera designed to appeal to the mid-range DSLR market. It has more buttons than the E-410, allowing faster and easier access to common adjustments. Olympus has announced no plans for a battery/vertical grip for the E-510.
Some brief specifications:
- 10 Megapixel NMOS ‘Live MOS’ sensor — image dimensions up to 3648 x 2736 pixels (9.9mp effective)
- 2.5” rear LCD panel (215,000 pixels; 100% frame coverage)
- Olympus' patented 'Supersonic Wave Filter' anti-dust system
- Metering: 49 area ESP, Centre-weighted average, Spot, Highlight and Shadow-based Spot
- Single AF, continuous AF and manual focusing with all Four-Thirds lenses
- Sequential shooting at 3fps up to 7 frames in RAW or to card capacity in JPEG (high quality).
- ISO range 100–1600.
- Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Manual and 23 'scene' modes
- Dual memory card slots for CompactFlash (Type I/II or MD) or xD type memory cards
- Inbuilt TTL-auto flash with a guide number of 12; sync up to 1/180 sec.
- Weight: 460g (body only)
- Size: 136 x 92 x 68 mm