Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Announced in June 2003, the Olympus E-1 was the first interchangeable lens DSLR for the Four-Thirds system. Released at a premium price point, the E-1 was aimed at the professional market and as such features dust and water-resistant weather-sealing (to match the majority of pro-level Four-Thirds lenses) and very high build quality and robustness, along with Olympus' patented SSWF dust reduction system. The camera features twin control dials, an external white-balance sensor, an external x-contact port and can be used with a vertical battery grip attachment.
Featuring a 5 megapixel CCD with the 4:3 aspect ratio, the E-1 has the same sized sensor as all cameras that share the Four-Thirds mount. Unlike all Four-Thirds cameras since its release except the E-3, the viewfinder in the E-1 is larger and offers 100% frame coverage – one of the main criticisms of the other cameras using the small Four-Thirds sensor.
E-1s have been used in various harsh environments such as deserts and war zones, and as of 2007 remain reportedly one of the toughest SLRs ever produced.
A successor to the E-1 was released in Nov 07 and is called the E-3.
Some brief specifications:
- 5 Megapixel CCD sensor — image dimensions up to 2560 × 1920 pixels (4.9mp effective)
- 1.8” rear LCD panel (134,000 pixels; 100% frame coverage)
- Olympus' patented 'Supersonic Wave Filter' anti-dust system
- Metering: 49 area ESP, Centre-weighted average, Spot (1.8%)
- External white-balance sensor
- Single AF, continuous AF and manual focusing with all Four-Thirds lenses
- Sequential shooting at 3fps up to 12 frames
- ISO range 100–3200.
- Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual shooting modes
- Takes CompactFlash (Type I/II or MD) type memory cards
- No inbuilt flash
- Weight: 660g (body only)
- Size: 141 × 104 × 81mm