Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Cover of the 1951 camera annual by Nihon Camera. (Image rights)|
Nippon Camera or Nihon Camera (日本カメラ, Nippon kamera or Nihon kamera) is a Japanese photography magazine whose first issue is dated March 1950 and which has continued to the present (2007).
The magazine started as a bimonthly magazine, published in Tokyo by Kōgeisha (光芸社) as the successor to the book series Amachua Shashin Sōsho (アマチュア写真叢書, October 1948 – December 1949). It became a monthly magazine from the issue dated July 1951. The magazine is now published by Nippon Camera-sha (Tokyo), which since 1951 has published an annual about hardware, titled Kamera Nenkan (カメラ年鑑) except in 2006 when it was called Shashin Nenkan (写真年鑑), and has also long published an annually revised practical encyclopedia Gendai shashin no jiten (現代写真の事典) and other photography-related books.
- ↑ While 日本 can be read as either "Nippon" or (more commonly) "Nihon", the front covers of newer issues of the magazine are clearly labeled "Nippon Camera" in roman letters in addition to the Japanese script. However, "Nihon" was the intended pronunciation early on. The first issue is marked "NIHONCAMERA" (no space) on the front cover, and the February 1953 issue has no roman-letter title on the front but clearly announces "Nihon Camera" in roman letters on the back cover.
Links and sources Edit
- Dealer's page for the magazine
- Nippon Camera in English-language Wikipedia
- Shirayama Mari. "Major Photography Magazines". In The History of Japanese Photography, ed. Ann Wilkes Tucker, et al. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2003. ISBN 0-300-09925-8. Pp. 378–85.
- Nippon Camera in Japanese-language Wikipedia
- Nippon Camera-sha, with a prominent link to Nippon Camera
- Shirayama Mari (白山眞理). "Nihon no shashin/kamera zasshi" (日本の写真・カメラ雑誌). Nihon shashin-shi gaisetsu (日本写真史概説, "An outline history of photography in Japan"). Tokyo: Iwanami, 1999. ISBN 4-00-008381-3. P.41.
- Shirayama Mari (白山眞理). Shashin zasshi no kiseki (写真雑誌の奇跡, "Traces of camera magazines"). Tokyo: JCII Library, 2001.
This article is based on the 13 January 2007 version of "Nippon Camera" within English-language Wikipedia