The P3 features a wireless network interface facility - allowing transfer of images to a computer or to a printer, including a mode where images are not saved in the camera at all, but transferred to a computer immediately after taking. The Coolpix P4 is similar, but without the wireless network.
The casing is mostly metal, with plated plastic ends, reaching onto the top-plate, around the shutter release and on-off switch, and around the VR (Vibration Reduction) switch. Beside the lens is a small circle with three holes, containing the microphone. On the user's left end is the speaker, and on the P3, there is a blue LED, signalling when the WiFi network is in use. The right end houses the wrist-strap loop and the combined USB and video connector - a Nikon proprietary design - with a fiddly captive plastic cover.
The lens is a Zoom-Nikkor with 3.5x optical zoom, 7.5-26.3mm (35mm-equivalent 36-126mm); this retracts into the body when the camera is switched off.
In the base there is a tripod bush and a door allowing access to the battery and SD memory card. The battery is held in by a very delicate sprung orange plastic triangle.
- Lens: Nikkor 3.5x zoom 7.5-26.3mm, f2.7-5.3 (minimum aperture f7.6);
- 7 elements in 6 groups, + 4x digital zoom, focusing 30cm (1 ft.) to ∞, 4cm (1.6 in.) to ∞ in Macro mode
- Power: EN-EL5 3.7v Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery
- Display: 2.5-inch 110,000 pixel TFT LCD
- Storage: SD cards
- Sensor: 1/1.8-inch CCD (8.3 million total pixels)
- ISO speed range: 50 - 400
- EV range: Wide: 2-17; Tele: 3-16
- Shutter: Combined mechanical and CCD electronic, speed 8s-1/2000s
- Image sizes: 3,264x2,448 [8M], 2,592x1,944 [5M], 2,048x1,536 [3M], 1,024x768 [PC], 3,264x2,176 [3:2], 640x480 [TV]
- Shooting Modes:
- Programmed Auto
- Aperture-priority Auto mode
- 9 Advanced Scene modes (Portrait [Face AF], Portrait, Night Portrait, Landscape, Night Landscape, Sunset, Dusk/Dawn, Fireworks Show, Close Up)
- 7 Scene modes (Party/Indoor, Panorama Assist, Beach/Snow, Back Light, Museum, Copy, Sports)
- BSS (Best Shot Selector),
- Date Imprint
- Self-timer 3 or 10 sec
- Dimensions: 92x61x31mm (3.6 x 2.4 x 1.2 in.) excluding projections
- Weight: 170g (5.6 oz) without battery or memory card