Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Chaika-II type 1a, c.1968 image by Süleyman Demir (Image rights)|
Chaika was the call sign of the first Russian female cosmonaut, Valentina Vladimirovna Tereshkova. She became extremely famous for her achievements and is still considered a hero in Russia. It's very likely that this line of cameras were at least partly named in honor of her. Her famous flight took place 1963 and the first Chaika camera was sold in 1965.
The difference between Chaika-I and Chaika-II is added a removable screw mount lens which could be used as the lens for an enlarger that was apparently never made available. The threads are the same as those for a Leica lens, but the focusing distance is different, so the lenses are not compatible.
There are 6 types and 9 sub-types of the Chaika-II 
- Picture size 18x24mm
- Lens: Industar-69 (ИНДУСТАР) 28mm f/2.8 filter slip-on serial no.none
- MMZ logo on the lens
- Aperture: up to f/16; setting: ring and scale on front of the lens
- Focus range: 0.8-5m +inf
- Focusing: manual front cell focusing; ring, distance scale with symbols and DOF scale on the lens shutter barrel
- Shutter: leaf shutter; speeds: 1/30-1/250 +B; setting: by a ring and small window on the top-plate
- Shutter release: on front of the top-plate, w/cable release socket
- Cocking lever: also winds the film, short stroke, on the back of the top-plate
- Frame counter: additive type, auto-reset, window on the top-plate
- Viewfinder: reverse telescopic finder, vertical quadrangle
- Re-wind knob: on the bottom plate, pull out and turn to arrow direction
- Re-wind release: by re-wind knob
- Flash PC socket: on front of the camera
- Cold-shoe: none
- Memory dial: on the re-wind knob
- Self-timer: none
- Back cover: opens by a latch on the right side of the camera
- Tripod socket: ¼"
- Strap lugs
- Body: metal; Weight: 388g
- Serial no. in the back cover
Chaika models Edit
|Chaika-II type 5b (export type) image by Siim Vahur (Image rights)|
Notes and referencesEdit
- Chaika (series) Sample Imageson www.sample-image.com/
- in Sovietcams by Aidas Pikiotas
- in Fotoua by Alaxander Komarov
- in Flickr group Russian Cameras
- At www.collection-appareils.fr
- Chaika II at r-kobus.eu by Ryszard Kobus